Monday, June 23, 2014

Bacon Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cookies

The first time I made these cookies was over the holidays.  My work was having a bakeoff and I knew I wanted to compete.  I spent awhile researching something new, I work with a lot of very manly men so I figured baking with bacon would make a lock for winning. I found this recipe on the Maker's Mark website and I knew I had to make them.  Sure enough my Bacon Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cookies won the competition.

I actually found a different recipes and experimented with them.  I like the one from Maker's Mark because it's similar to the classic Tollhouse recipe that I make all the time.  I also experimented with both milk and dark chocolate and it was decided dark chocolate is definitely the way to go.  I also added a little extra bourbon.  They are definitely special occasion cookies because frying a pound of bacon and cooling the lard takes time and isn't cheap.  Plus in case you weren't paying attention there is bacon lard in it!



Makes 3 dozen cookies
1/4 cup bourbon
3/4 pound bacon
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup reserved bacon fat, chilled
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I just used chocolate chips)


1) In a large sauté pan, cook bacon. Remove the bacon pieces from the fat and drain on a paper towel. Strain the fat through a fine sieve and measure out a 1/2 cup of bacon fat and chill the bacon fat until it congeals and is set.  I fried my bacon a few days before I made the dough.
Bacon and lard before it goes in the fridge

2) Preheat the oven to 375°F.  Cut the bacon into a variety of diced and larger pieces.

3) Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.

4) Beat the butter, chilled bacon fat, granulated sugar, light and dark brown sugars, vanilla and bourbon in large mixer bowl until it is well combined.

5) Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in the flour mixture.

6) Stir in the cooked bacon pieces and chopped chocolate bits. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto parchment-lined baking sheets at least 3 inches apart.


7) Bake in the oven for 9 to 11 minutes until the edges start to brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment